Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Success!

Well, I think I can chalk up my last pair of socks a total success! The blue ones I knit for my nephew (see picture in previous post) went over very well with him. Last week, when I had only one of them done, I got him to try it on to see how it fit. He didn't want it on for some reason, and I assumed he felt that it was too itchy on his little foot. I had left a question over at Knitter's Review forums to ask how to soften them up, it it was possible. I got several great replies.

Well, yesterday evening around 6:00 I showed him both socks and told him I got his socks all done. He had the cutest little smile on his face. I set him up on the bathroom counter (he and his father were in there and his father was trying to wash his face or hands) and my brother (nephew's father) and I each put one him at the same time. My reason for doing that was because I thought if I got only one on and he found it itchy, he wouldn't want to put the other one on and probably take the one off.

Well, he seemed to like them and was very proud that he had new socks! He kept saying "boo socks" (only the 'k' sound in sock isn't all that pronounced) and would stick his foot out and smile. I asked him if he liked them and he said "Uh-huh". Then his father tried to get him to take them off (figuring they might be to hard and scratchy) so that he could take them home or leave them with me to wash, but my nephew wanted to keep them on! They were only there about half an hour until they had to go and he kept them on the entire time.

Today when he was over (we look after him on Friday's and Saturday's) he was wearing his new blue socks! His mother told me when she came to pick him up that he refused to take them off last night and slept with them on (he normally wears socks to bed I believe), and this morning he wouldn't put on any other pair. He had to wear the ones I made! Made my heart swell quite a bit that he was pleased with them.

Today when I was working on my third pair of socks (these are for me, and I'm a over half done the first one of the pair), my nephew kept pointing to the knitting and said "Ooo Ooo, no. Geen neat". I should interject here that he calls me "Oo Oo" (the sound a monkey sorta makes) because his father told him to call me that because he (nephew) and I often watch the monkey videos over on Animal Planet's web site. He also can't pronounce my name yet, and I don't mind him calling me that. Also, as you probably have figured out, 'geen' is green and 'neat' is the way he pronounces the word 'knit'. It's so cute when he says it!

So, he is wanting me to stop knitting my socks and make him his green pair. I had asked him last night if he wanted another pair and he said "uh huh" and then I asked him what colour and listed off a couple...he wants green. The only green I have is called Shaded Spruce and is a dark green. I showed him a ball of multi-coloured sock yarn (in case he might have wanted that instead) and asked him which one he wanted...he chose the green one.

Now, after I finish this one sock of my pair, I think I am going to have to jump into his green pair first, and then go back to the second sock of my pair. Either that or go out and buy another set of 3.25mm's and start his and rotate between the two pairs. I haven't quite decided yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the green socks will win out...

12 comments:

Sharon said...

He sounds an adorable little boy, I am sure the green socks will win out.

amylovie said...

Awwww! That makes your time worth while.

Amy

Catherine Kerth said...

that is so cute! i think the green socks will win out too ;)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Well, you guys are right. The green socks are winning out! I bought another pair of needles so I could get started on them. I plan to switch back and forth, but I think I'll be doing more work on the green ones for now so that he can get them soon. They're only small, so it shouldn't take long to finish them providing nothing unexpected pops up with school, etc. I have just finished the cuff so far and have one row of knitting at this point.

kittensmittens said...

your nephew sounds really cute.

thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I really like the layout of yours, it looks very cool.

kittensmittens said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ruth said...

hey there! if you want the recipe for nian gao (the traditional chinese new year cake) just let me know and i can send it over. i don't have the recipe here at the moment - but in the cake it has evaporated milk, coconut milk, rice flour, eggs, sugar, and some melted butter. and probably a tad of baking powder. it's yummy and sticky, but it ain't fat-free, if you know what i mean. =) but that's ok, we just have it once a year. =)

Unknown said...

How cute. Hey Shelly, yes, please email me your addy so I can send you a prize. My email address is sedie AT yarnobsession DOT com

Tina in Wonderland said...

I had a feeling you were gonna give in and start on your nephew's little green socks! LOL I don't blame ya a bit! It's fun to be a favorite aunt, isn't it!

One of the nicest things about doing for little kids is that they really, honestly appreciate it!

I really like the way you have the cute picture of your kitten in the back of your blog! Cool!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Tina...actually it's not my cat. I found the template that was designed like this at Blog Spot Templates (the link is under my progress bars on the side bar, right below the counter) and thought it was so appropriate for my blog, since it mentions "kitten" in the title (that and I love cats). So, I downloaded or uploaded or whatever it is you do and added my stuff to the sidebar and presto! Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but I did have to ask some questions from others about things though.

Donna M said...

Hi Shelley,
Thanks for visiting my blog. My daughter also lives in NB so we are in the Saint John area fairly often. Good luck with the socks. I use the self patterning sock yarn and have made several pairs for me as well as both daughters. Everyone comments on them.
Donna

elizabeth said...

What an adorable nephew story! He must have made you feel so good loving those socks so much. I'm betting he'll end up with many pairs of socks from you in the future! :)