Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

We Have Sock Off! (Edited To Add Picture)

Woo Hoo! I have finished my first ever sock, and it is off the needles!!!

I am so proud of myself. I never once felt like giving up, even though I know that there are several mistakes in this sock - I goofed up a couple of times in the ribbing, didn't pull my stitches tight enough in a couple of places, down by the heel on one side I somehow didn't join it quite right because there are a couple of little holes there, and I think I grafted the toe area just a tad bit too tight (I managed to drop a stitch and only noticed it after I had done the grafting and had to somehow pick it up and sew it so that there wouldn't be a hole there, so there is a little bump in that part). Also, I wasn't sure how exactly to end the grafting so I tied a knot that I am hoping will stay and threaded the yarn back through. Honestly, if I were to put it through the wash, I don't know if it would stay together LOL (that's one of my biggest fears of anything I make though). Oh, and after turning the heel, I somehow mixed up the needles and I thing I ended up with the seams backwards, but I don't know for sure.

I suppose I shouldn't be telling all my mistakes, but what can I say...I'm honest! Also, I think it's important that we talk about our mistakes and share what they are so that other knitters who are just starting won't feel so bad when they do the same things. We are all human and our first socks are not going to be perfect. To be honest, for a first sock I am quite proud of the way it turned out, mistakes and all. I know it is something I need to work on to improve, but for a first attempt I don't think I did all that bad.

Oh, and I discovered I was knitting backwards and inside out! Can you believe that? I am still really a novice with the dpn's (double point needles for those who don't know), having only knit a couple of mittens and they both were the same as the sock. I found out that I was starting at the back and working around counter clockwise instead of starting at the front and working clockwise...so, this might account for some of the mistakes I made. I also had to, after I was done, turn the sock 'inside out' so that the outside was on the outside.

Thankfully, I was checking out the Socks 101 link I have on my sidebar as I was working the sock and saw what I was doing wrong. I also credit that site with helping me to graft (I have never done that before, but still not entirely sure I did it the right way...might have mixed myself up with it some, but that is my fault and not the site's). So, if you are looking for a good link to help in making socks, check it out. As I said, the link is on my sidebar.

Ok, I have edited this post to add in a picture of the sock I have completed! I spotted another mistake at the heel...it shows purling instead of knitting because of the whole "insideout/backwards" way I was doing it. Really, I should have purled instead of knitted that row like I did with the bottom part of the heel. Live and learn I suppose, hehehe.
Like I said, for a first sock I am pretty pleased with it, mistakes and all.

I have also been working on the second sock, this time doing it the correct way and hopefully it won't be inside out and backwards...though if it is the right way, it shouldn't. However, I am finding this way VERY awkward and the seam between the first and third needle doesn't seem to be as tight as it should be. I guess it will take time to relearn how to hold the needles and use them the correct way. Once I get over that, it should go well...I hope. But, I am still not going to give up! Off to work on it some more...

Happy knitting!

14 comments:

Lynda said...

Yeah Shelley!! Can't wait to see the pictures! Backwards and inside out??? Ooops! It's gotta be easier now that you're doing it right!! Extra points for your sticktoitiveness (good word, eh?)

april @ faraboverubies said...

Very nice! Thanks for noting your Oops's, I'll watch for those areas when I'm working on my sock.

Anonymous said...

Love the sock, way to go girlfriend!!! Loke the site too! I wish I could knit or do something creative like make a sock!

mreddie said...

One of the needs of humankind is to create, you have fulfilled that need and done it well. ec

Sharon said...

Hi Shelley, your sock is great and most of the 'mistakes' you pointed out will only be noticeable to you anyway. I knitted my first sock inside out also, apparently it is a very common thing for first time sock knitters to do.

Yes thanks once again for the link to the percentage bar guy, I had looked into other ways of doing them but the instructions were way too complex for little ol' me to work out, but as you mentioned he really knows how to explain things on our limited html knowledge level.

I am going to add you to my favourite blog list so that I can keep up to date with your knitting adventures, Shaz.

Sharon said...

Oops!! me again I meant to add this link for you: Opal Sock Yarn site

Ruth said...

wow, lookin good!!! =)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks Ruth...I'm hoping the second one will be better since I'll be doing it the right way this time LOL.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!

phoenix_anew said...

Congratulations! Thanks for the comment you left on my site ... Wanted to say that my first pair of socks was definitely far from perfect ... but I love them still ... and so does my son, as they were made for him ...

Anny said...

Hi Shelley, thanks for your comment on my site. You wanted to know what a panta was...it's a wide headband pattern that first appeared on a craftster.com post. There is a knit along in progress for it which you can check out at www.panta-along.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Maggie Ann said...

Shelley, your sock is beautiful! I made some circular flower design dishcloths last year on dpns for the 1st time. Quite an accomplishment...they are like a puzzle if you've never used them before. I am impressed with your results...it looks great! Its nice you shared the ups and downs along the way...it will be sure to help somebody else..smile.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments! They are greatly appreciated!

Joe said...

My wife knits. For the life of me, I could never have that kind of patience.

The sock is very colorful and looks good.

Is it for sale? Does it have to be sold to a person with only one foot, or is there a companion?