Pages

Monday, January 23, 2006

New Purchases!

I went to one of the local book store's today to get some books on knitting. Oh what fun! I wish I could have afforded all the books I wanted. I am looking forward to going through them more and trying out stitches and patterns, etc.

I also got the January 2006 issue of Creative Knitting and I love the pattern on the front cover for the Multicolor Dream. It's beautiful and I want to make it! This is a great magazine, at least I think it is, and there are lots of great patterns for all levels of knitters.

One of the books I got is "Teach Yourself Visually Knitting" by Sharon Turner. It is about techniques, patterns, stitches, etc. and looks like it will be helpful for me. The second book I got is "The Knitter's Bible" by Claire Crompton and looks really great. I've only just glanced through it so far but it will definately be beneficial for me to help me with new stitches, etc. The last book I got is "Instant Expert Knitting" by Ros Badger with more hints and tips and patterns. I am sure that between all three of these books I should learn something new! It makes me wish that I had signed up for the knitting olympics over at Yarn Harlot. However, that is not going to happen because I have a lot of school work...unless I attempt something like a cable scarf since that would be a personal challenge. I've not tried cables yet, so even though it might be something simple to some of the more experienced knitters, it would be a challenge for me. It's something I want to learn though, so maybe I'll still try to sign up...not sure though. Ethier way, whether or not I sign up for the knitting olympics or not, I will be learning to do cables.

Right now though, I'm off to work towards finishing my second pair of socks, the ones for my nephew. I have about half or a little less than half to go until it is done. Shouldn't take too long to do though.

Happy knitting!

4 comments:

Catherine Kerth said...

i get creative knitting in the mail! i like a couple of things in there! my favorite is the triangle shawl/ love the pink artyarns they used with it! i joined the knitting olympics b/c i wanted to be a part of it.. why don't you just stay in and pick something that is pretty easy to fit your schedule? then you can still get that gold medal :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Catherine, I think I might just do that...join the knitting olympics I mean. I guess part of my challenge would include setting aside time to work on it lol.

Sharon said...

I love knitting books almost as much as I love yarn. Another book that I can recommend is by Debbie Bliss called Step-by-step Knitting Workbook, each section teaches a new technique, complete with photos and then there is a pattern at the end of each section using the new technique learnt.

So am I right in understanding that in Canada the currency is different to US?? If you have a good LYS I would be asking them to stock some Opal sock yarns, if my LYS here in Tasmania (we are very isolated) can stock it then I would assume yours would be able to.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sharon, yes the Canadian and American currency is different. If you change American for Canadian you get more than if you change Canadian to American. Of course it depends on the exchange rate. I think the Canadian dollar is worth 70-something cents, maybe close to 80-something, but not sure off hand...