Thursday, October 22, 2009

Two Colour Infant Hat

I enjoyed making this hat, and it didn't take too long when I sat down and worked at it.  I messed up the bottom pattern, but I think it looks kind of cool anyway.  I'll definitely be making more of these hats in the future (and hopefully get the bottom part of the pattern right)!

I used Patons Astra in Black and School Bus Yellow and size 4mm circs and DPNs.  The pattern I used was from this blog.  I'll be adding this to the items for the mitten tree at church this year.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Another Hat

Here is the latest hat I just finished knitting up this afternoon.  I made it with the yarn mentioned in the previous post.  The pattern I used was the Family Rolled Brim Hat, but I just added ribbing instead.  I was making the 18 month size, but I think due to the yarn and needles I used (it did seem a little loose, but nothing too major), it ended up being larger.  I tried it on, and it fits me - though it is a little big on me even.  So, I guess this turned into an adult hat!  I'm going to add it to what I have designated for the mitten tree at church.

Up next will more than likely be another hat - childs/baby hat made with Paton's Astra.  I found a pattern when I got the one I used for this hat, and it's a fair isle type hat.  I have two skeins of the Paton's Astra from when I was going to do a different hat earlier on this year, so I think I'll use this new pattern I printed out and see how it turns out.  Since I have the right yarn, this hat should work out to the right size!  I also want to start some mittens.  I was out the other day and the temperature was just right for a pair of mittens (not too cold, but cold enough that I wanted something on my hands).  Of course, the mittens I'll make will also be donated to the mitten tree and will be a child's size.  I just need to get them made!  I want to have some mittens to put on the tree, and not just hats and a couple of scarves!

Well, off to do some more knitting (and maybe work on editing some photos for my photography blog)

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Baby Hat #3 & New Yarn

This is my latest baby hat.  It's a simple rolled brim hat and I followed the pattern I mentioned in the previous post.  It's made with the same yarn as the previous two hats, and there is very little of it left now.  I think the hat is cute, and I hope some little head will be warm this winter.  It will be added to what I've made for the mitten tree at church this year.

My next hat will be for a small child I think.  When I was in Australia, I went to a market and bought a couple of different hanks of yarn.  However, I never thought to buy two of this particular yarn because I was thinking of using it for socks.  I had asked if it was enough for a pair of socks, and the lady told me yes.  Upon further inspection when I got back "home", I saw that it is 8 ply, DK weight and I would probably need two to make a pair of socks.  So, I decided I would use it to make a hat for a child.  I searched on Ravelry and found a pattern (I'll post the link after I get the hat made and post the picture here on my blog).  I should have enough for an 18 month old child.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

The pattern is another rolled brim hat, but I think I might alter it an use a ribbed cuff...I haven't decided yet.  Since the yarn is varigated, I don't think a pattern would show up too well so it will just be a plain knitted hat.  I've included two pics of the yarn - in hank form, and in center-pull ball.

The photo on the left is with the flash on, and the one on the right is without the flash.  The yarn is Hawthorne Cottage Yarns (100% Australian wool); it is English Leicester longwool & corridale.  It's a "lustrous worsted yarn", 8 ply, DK weight, uses 4mm (US 6) size needles, and the tension is 22.5 sts = 10 cm/3.9 in.  The hank is 3.5 oz/100g and is approximately 189 yds/174 m.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Baby Hat #2

I finished this little baby hat Monday night and only got to take a picture of it this morning.  I think it's a cute little hat.

I used the same yarn from the hat in the previous post, and I'm making a third hat (another baby one) with the remaining yarn.  I don't have much left to do on the third hat, so hopefully I'll get a photo of it and post within the next day or two.

The yarn I used in this, again, is Lamb's Pride worsted (85% wool, 15% mohair) in the Royal Purple Flutter colourway.  I used a 4.0 mm circular needle, and 4.0 mm DPNs for the decrease.  The pattern I used can be found here.  The pattern is for premies, but because of the size of yarn I used, I think it would fit a full-term sized baby.

This hat will be added to the rest of my items to be put on/under my church's mitten tree - everything is donated to various organizations in my city.