Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Nephew's Socks

Ok, I got my nephew's socks finished this afternoon. I'm still not entirely sure that I am doing the grafting/kitchener stitch right but I'm working on it LOL. Here is the pic of the finished pair. They still aren't perfect, but I'm learning and working on it as I go!

Yarn: Patons Kroy (75% washable wool, 25% nylon)
Colour: Royal Blue
Needle size: 3.25 dpn

I have already casted (or is it just cast...) on for my next pair of socks. These will be adult size (probably for me lol), and will also be in Patons Kroy (75% washable wool, 25% nylon) in crazy stripes (that was the name of the colour), which is greens, yellows, and blues. I have about 8 rows ribbed so far and I think that I'm liking the way it is turning out with the striping (though I am noticing that the stripes don't go the full way around so far before changing to the next colour. I don't know if that is supposed to happen or not, or if it is just because of the pattern. Regardless of whether or not it should or shouldn't be doing that I like it and it doesn't bother me if it isn't supposed to be like that.

I think that I will join the Knitting Olympics over at Yarn Harlot. I am going to work on a cable stitch scarf. I know that many knitters out there are probably thinking that that is hardly a challenge, but for me it is because I have not done this stitch yet - I don't know how to do it. So, I know that I will be challenged to learn it. Another challenge for me will be to find the time to knit due to school work. I hope I'm not getting in over my head with this during school...lol. Oh well, the worst thing that could happen is that I don't get it finished and will be dubbed a Knitting Olympic's loser...lol. Actually I don't know if that is what happens or not, but there are worse things in life.

Off to go sign up for the olympics and then get to some school work. Happy knitting!

9 comments:

Ruth said...

the socks look great! i love the kitchener stitch - invisible seaming! oh by the way, i've changed my template again. i'm still tinkering with it, but i think i'll stick with this one for now. ;)

Catherine Kerth said...

love the socks! yeah, your gonna do the olympics...*cheer* I love doing cables, they are so easy, but look hard and complicated to the "common folk" eye ;)

Sharon said...

The socks look great and good on you for signing up for the knitting olympics.

The kirchener stitch for socks took me ages to get the hang of. I printed out this tutorial and would follow it step by step, you can find the link here

amylovie said...

You can SOOO do the cable thing. It looks much harder than it really is.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am really looking forward to learning it!

Jenny said...

Great Job!!!!!!!! You ROCK!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks Jayleigh...you do too girl!!

Lynda said...

Hey Shelley - not to worry about your "pain in the butt" comment - are you kidding? I was laughing it up on that one....wishing I had been with it enough that night for such a good comeback!

And, I loved your CB story!

Anonymous said...

The Yarn Harlot was very clear that "challenge" will mean different things to different people, so no justification for your choice required. I just decided to break down and join myself. Good luck to both of us! I hope your midterms aren't too much of an obstacle.