Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Argyle Cap - Progress

The Argyle Cap
I've been working the last few days on The Argyle Cap I mentioned in the previous post.  I had hoped to finish it today since we have a holiday here.

I don't think that's going to happen.  Because I don't have a lot of light in my living room, and the fact the red is dark, it makes it a little difficult to work on in the evenings.  But, I have been working on it and I should get it completed this week before I get matched with my next scarf exchange partner on Friday.

So far, I think I am right on with the pattern.  Along the way I've made some mistakes and when I'd get to the end of the row, things didn't match up with the pattern - I'd be off by a couple of stitches.  I'd look to discover where I went wrong, then tink  back to the spot I'd need to fix.  Unfortunately, a couple of times that spot was close to the beginning of the row.  The row I just finished had me going back to near the beginning twice, and then about a couple of inches back the last time until I got it back on pattern.

I'm knitting the small size (ladies size I think), and because of the needles I'm using, and the weight of the yarn (fingering), I think these circulars are just a tad too long (I thought I was getting the smallest size - at least it was the smallest that was available at the shop where I purchased them). I'd also like to see the needle part just a little shorter.  Anyway, I hope this doesn't stretch the yarn too much and make the hat out of shape or too loose.
Close up of the pattern so far. 
This pattern isn't too difficult and most of the rows are easily memorized after a repeat.  I do find that I need to be able to concentrate while doing this, so watching the Olympics at the same time probably isn't a good idea.  That, and getting a couple of text messages from a friend, is probably what caused me to have to tink back those few times in the row I just finished.

I can't wait until this hat is finished so I can see how it looks.  The pattern suggest wet blocking and drying flat. I've never done that with a hat before, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem for me.

I'm debating on making the matching mittens after I finish this (or at least after I finish the next scarf for the exchange), or if I'll make another hat using one of the other designs in the pattern and then make the matching mittens for both hats at that point.

For now, I'll concentrate on finishing the hat.

1 comment:

Homemade Helen said...

Hi there, just found you on Rav. Love the blog.