Pages

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Welcome 2014!

I can't believe how long it's been since I've really made any postings here - particularly knitting related.  I just haven't had a lot of knitting motivation in such a long time, and to be honest, I just never thought of doing posts of any of my art journals (which I hope to get more into this year).

About three weeks ago at Bible study (one of the two that I attend), we were talking about spiritual gifts and taking a "test" to find out what ours were.  Well, I had mentioned about my knitting and how I had wanted to learn to make mittens (which blossomed into other items) for the mitten tree at the church I was attending back home (in case I haven't mentioned it here, in late August of 2011 I moved to northern BC as I accepted a teaching position at a Christian school).  I also mentioned that I was in a slump, or rather I felt stalled in my walk and hadn't been doing any knitting in so long.  After mentioning this, I was encouraged by the others to pick it up again and get working on it.  I mentioned that I'd like to start a mitten tree at the church (the new one I'm attending here in BC) since they don't have one, and they didn't know what a mitten tree was.  They said that if this was a gifting (craftsmanship), then I have to do something about it - I need to knit and start a mitten tree.

Since it's obviously too late now to start one for Christmas (as I had mentioned to them at the time as well), I would still like to have something set up where people can knit (or purchase items to donate) various items that can be donated to homeless or less fortunate people.  Here in the north, we will still have cold and snow for awhile and these people can definitely still use the items.  So, I need to figure out how to set something up, present it, and start collecting items to somehow (and somewhere) distribute them.  One of the members of the Bible Study group suggested the Salvation Army, which is a great idea, but I said that as far as I knew people have to buy the items they have.  I want these items I will make and collect to be given freely to those who need them - just like Jesus freely gave us the gift of salvation.

Two "2 Weeknights With Warrick" scarves
Needless to say, my motivation was re-sparked and I began working on some knitting projects within a day or two.

I chose to do an easy pattern, one that I could do without much thinking so that I wouldn't lose motivation before I got started.  I went with the 2 Weeknights With Warrick pattern, which I have done before a couple of times.  In the photo, the scarf on the left is the first one I did and finished not long after starting.  The one on the right was finished a few days ago (and it looks in the photo like I've got it backwards, LOL!  Well, at least you can see what each side looks like...).

Want to know a little secret? These aren't completely finished.  I can't find my darning needle to sew the ends in, so once I get that and can take care of the finishing touches, then they will be totally finished.

I've already started in on another scarf, though it might be one I keep for myself.  The pattern for this scarf is the Diagonal Lace Scarf, which I've also made a time or two in the past.  It's another fairly easy pattern - a 6 row repetition, and I like the way it looks.  The yarn I'm using for this pattern is Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable in Petunia.  Since I've only been knitting this pattern for a few days, I don't have a whole lot completed. But, when I'm done I will post a photo of it.

Do you have anything specific that you are wanting to knit, or learn to knit, in 2014? Would love to hear about it in the comments, and feel free to post a link to what you're working on!

No comments: