Pages

Friday, March 16, 2007

Behind Door Number Three

Well, in all honesty, I haven't been doing very much knitting. If I have, it's only been a few rows on a scarf that I have on the backburner to work on now and then (I'm using the last ball of the yarn I had dyed with Kool Aid last year). Well, I realized that we are halfway into March already and I haven't started any socks for the various KALs yet.
So, I decided that I would start on a pair of children's socks (let's face it, I'm slow at knitting socks for myself) that will get done before the end of the month. Which pattern have I decided to go with, you ask? Why, the Chevron Pattern for Self-Striping Yarn from the Sensational Knitted Socks book (page 70), by Charlene Schurch. I've had the book for a little while now, and decided it was high time I put it to use.

You see, these socks are going to be used for Socktopia (I've missed January and February because I was too slow getting those socks done) for one of the categories for March. I think the yarn I've chosen (Knit Picks Simple Stripes - don't remember the colourway, and the ballband doesn't say) and the pattern will fit for the category I'm thinking about. When I get them done and submitted, I'll let you know which category and my explanation then ;o).
Here's a closeup of what I've got done so far - about two inches into the leg. See the stitch marker? That's one of the chili pepper stitch markers I won from Ingrid.

My fellow Canadians will no doubt recognize the cup that is being used to support the sock. It's a 'Roll Up the Rim To Win' from the ever popular Tim Horton's (I got a medium double double with milk). And, before you ask...no I did not win anything. Not even a coffee. I think so far I've only won two coffees since the contest began a few weeks ago.

Anyway, this Chevron pattern I'm using is very easy. I wasn't quite sure how to do the K1, YO, K1 in the same stitch at first, but then I went with what I thought was the correct way, and it seems to have turned out fine. What I did was knit into the stitch, did not remove it from the left needle, did a yarn over, then knit into the back of the stitch (as if I were doing an increase into the same stitch)...I hope the way I explained it makes sense. But, I did end up with the right amount of stitches, and when I stretch the leg somewhat, the pattern shows correctly - at least to me it does. I'll post more pics when I finish them (which will hopefully be in the next couple of days).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley,
I am so glad you stopped by my blog to say hello. I also like to explore other blogs off the comments, etc. I really like your Noro scarf.

It is refreshing and encouraging to come across others who have a personal relationship with the Lord.

Karen said...

I knit that pattern for a pair of socks for Monica (and I didn't care for that 3 stitches in 1 myself). But the socks turned out great and she loves them. Yours are looking great!

Susan said...

Oh I know that yarn. It's the colorway storm and I wish Knitpicks still made it. It wears beautifully and softens each time it is washed. I'm hurrying to finish my Socktopia socks too so don't feel bad.

Charity said...

I love the Chevron socks! I just bought myself Sensational Knitted Socks, I can't wait to check out all the patterns! :0)

Anonymous said...

I never win anything when it comes to contests. I wish you best of luck with your Tim Horton's contest! May you have a cup of coffee that will win you something!

Today I'm checking out your blog & your questionnaire to get to know you!

Anonymous said...

TIMS!!!! You've had more luck than me, i've only won a donut! lol

Rachel said...

Very nice socks! I didn't realize there were patterns out there for self striping yarn. Thanks for the tip!

Sherri said...

You've been busy! I haven't been around for a long time, but trying to get back to my blog again.

The scarf is beautiful! I made a similar scarf once. I'll have to try that one!

Anonymous said...

These socks are going to look beautiful! The colourway is really awesome, and the pattern seems to work perfectly with the colours - great!

Kim said...

I saw your kitty picture from your profile at mitstitchingnut.blogspot.com. Your kitty looks just like mine - I have a cat named Fred, male, and he looks like yours except ours has a black nose!

Kim said...

It's me again - here is a link to my flickr account on photos of my cat Fred, who looks a lot like your Tinker Belle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitswithasilentk/tags/fred/

lexa said...

I think I've won two coffees so far, too. Well, I use them for tea.

Anonymous said...

Love the chilli pepper st marker. Never done k1,yo,k1 in the same stitch either but must try it to see what effect it gives. I'm doing a pair of chevron socks too.

Hasbu said...

The colorway is beautiful, I can't wait to see the finished pair!