Well, in all honesty, I haven't been doing very much knitting. If I have, it's only been a few rows on a scarf that I have on the backburner to work on now and then (I'm using the last ball of the yarn I had dyed with Kool Aid last year). Well, I realized that we are halfway into March already and I haven't started any socks for the various KALs yet.
So, I decided that I would start on a pair of children's socks (let's face it, I'm slow at knitting socks for myself) that will get done before the end of the month. Which pattern have I decided to go with, you ask? Why, the Chevron Pattern for Self-Striping Yarn from the Sensational Knitted Socks book (page 70), by Charlene Schurch. I've had the book for a little while now, and decided it was high time I put it to use.
You see, these socks are going to be used for Socktopia (I've missed January and February because I was too slow getting those socks done) for one of the categories for March. I think the yarn I've chosen (Knit Picks Simple Stripes - don't remember the colourway, and the ballband doesn't say) and the pattern will fit for the category I'm thinking about. When I get them done and submitted, I'll let you know which category and my explanation then ;o).
Here's a closeup of what I've got done so far - about two inches into the leg. See the stitch marker? That's one of the chili pepper stitch markers I won from Ingrid.
My fellow Canadians will no doubt recognize the cup that is being used to support the sock. It's a 'Roll Up the Rim To Win' from the ever popular Tim Horton's (I got a medium double double with milk). And, before you ask...no I did not win anything. Not even a coffee. I think so far I've only won two coffees since the contest began a few weeks ago.
Anyway, this Chevron pattern I'm using is very easy. I wasn't quite sure how to do the K1, YO, K1 in the same stitch at first, but then I went with what I thought was the correct way, and it seems to have turned out fine. What I did was knit into the stitch, did not remove it from the left needle, did a yarn over, then knit into the back of the stitch (as if I were doing an increase into the same stitch)...I hope the way I explained it makes sense. But, I did end up with the right amount of stitches, and when I stretch the leg somewhat, the pattern shows correctly - at least to me it does. I'll post more pics when I finish them (which will hopefully be in the next couple of days).