Monday, December 01, 2014
The yarn I chose, mostly because I like the softness of it, is Bernat Satin. I think I chose the wrong type of yarn for the hat.
First off, I had bought two skeins of the blue colour and one of a darkish pink. The pink was supposed to be for the hat and the blue for a cowl. Wasn't really thinking when I started knitting the hat, and until I actually knitted about three quarters of the ribbing, did I realize that I should have been using the pink yarn. I continued knitting, though, because I felt I had done too much to that point to rip it out.
I have enough knitted that I can kind of put it over my head some (being careful not to drop any stitches off the needles). I have a sinking feeling this hat is going to be too loose and maybe a little too big for me. I'll wait until I complete it first before deciding if I'll keep it for me or donate it.
The pattern I'm using is the Honeycomb Hat (link to my Ravelry page which has the actual link to the pattern). So far I find it an easy knit, and I would likely use this pattern again - with different yarn. It has a seed stitch rib but says you can use other kinds of ribbing just as long as the gauge is the same or tighter than the cable pattern. This is the part that feels quite loose to me - even though I used smaller needles than what I'm using for the rest of the hat. Anyway, I'll wait until it's complete before making my final decision. It might turn out OK.
Other than the hat, I haven't been knitting much of anything else lately. I still have to finish with my scarves that I've been working on (blocking, weaving in ends, etc.), but still don't have my knitting items from out west yet. I'm not in any great rush and the scarves can wait for next year to be donated if need be. I'm not worrying about it :).