Friday, January 28, 2011

Honeycomb Hat

I finally finished the purple hat I was working on (see previous post). It's not difficult, but the particular stitch I did took longer for me to work at. It's an easy stitch, but for some reason I was just slow at knitting it.

The picture isn't the best, and I had to use the flash on the camera. I've adjusted the photo some in Photo Shop Elements, but the colour of yarn in the photo is pretty close to the actual colour.
Honeycomb Hat

As previously mentioned, I used Patons Classic Merino in Royal Purple. The needles were 5.0 mm circs. In all honesty, I don't really know what the sizing would be, other than to say the hat doesn't fit my head - and I don't think my head is big...maybe average sized.  I suppose this hat could fit an older child, I don't really know. I'll have to take this with me to church on Sunday and get my BFF's daughter (who is a month away from being 11 years old), and see if it fits her.

I got a gift certificate to Chapters for Christmas, and used it to buy the book "400 knitting stitches, A Complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns" by Potter Craft. The stitch for my Honeycomb Hat is found in there.  I haven't typed up the pattern yet, and in all honesty it's probably not the best pattern. I just sort of made it up as I went along.

For starters, the number of stitches I cast on may not have been the correct amount, as there "left overs" as I began my decreasing rows for the crown. For example, if I was decreasing 8 stitches and then knitting 2 together, I might end up with 5 stitches left over. I would just knit those with no decreases. I don't know if that made a difference or anything, but it may have been camoflauged because they were done only every other row (in between patterned rows). Hopefully the way I worded it makes sense. At any rate, by the time I got to k4, k2tog, I was OK with the number of stitches matching up to the decreasing.

Close-up of Pattern
 I've never created my own hat pattern before, so I took some measurements from another "established" pattern. I cast on what I thought would be the right amount (I wanted to make it a little larger than the other hats I made, so I cast on more than those ones (but not by much). The type of decrease I used was the same as in the other pattern, but I didn't know how many to start decreasing with. I think it turned out OK in the end though, but maybe if someone else looks at the pattern (when I get it posted), she might be able to tell and help make proper adjustments - even if it's just casting on a different amount of stitches instead of what I used.

I'm going to attempt to make another hat of the other pattern I mentioned in a previous post and see if it works out again as well. It's a quicker knit so it shouldn't take me too long to knit up another one. I'm going to try it using two colours and see how that looks. I'll post pics when I get the other one done, and possible share the pattern as well.

Until then, happy knitting!

1 comment:

dacg said...

I'm loving this scarf...the color is exceptional....went back to catch up on reading your blogs..enjoyment plus.