Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

I Enabled My Knitting Habit This Week

This past week I spent four days in Edmonton, Alberta.  I went with K, Little K, and J and we drove the 6 - 8 hours (depending on how many stops you make and how long those stops are) both ways.

Before we left, I did a little research to see if there would be any yarn shops in the area we would be visiting.  So, on Wednesday afternoon (after spending about five hours at the West Edmonton Mall), we took a little trip to River City Yarns, where I enabled my knitting habit.  This was a great shop, the ladies working there were very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.  If I lived closer, I'd definitely go back (though if I ever get to Edmonton again, I will most likely take a side trip and visit the store again)!

There was so much yummy, yarny, goodness in that shop that I felt a little overwhelmed.  There was so much to choose from it made my visit difficult.  This store has higher end, quality yarns that are a little more pricey than what I normally go for (though if I had the money, I would have bought some of it), but there are brands that weren't as pricey. There was very little (if any) acrylic in that store.

I bought two skeins of  Mirasol Nuna (shade 1038) which will likely be a scarf or cowl, two balls of Rowan felted tweed in the Duck Egg colourway (no. 173).  That will likely be a scarf or cowl as well.

I also got 4.5mm circular needles (Addi Turbo Rockets) and a pattern.  The pattern is from Churchmouse Classics (I don't think I've heard of them before), and is for the Color Play Mohair Scarf & Wrap.  One of the ladies at River City Yarns had made a sample of this pattern using the Rowan Kidsilk Haze yarn which the pattern calls for.  It was GORGEOUS!  I had debated getting some Kidsilk Haze, but when she told me the price the yarn alone would cost, I felt saddened to have to turn it down.  The price was more than I was willing to pay, unfortunately.  However, I did get an acrylic/polyester/mohair/wool blend of Patons when we stopped at Michael's on our way back to the hotel so that I can try the pattern.

Patons Lace yarn I'll use in the Colour
Play Mohair Scarf pattern
Also during our trip, I brought some knitting along to help pass the time in the car.  I knit the Irish Mesh Cowl pattern (a free Ravelry download), and managed to complete it on this trip. I knit in the car both ways, and at the hotel in the evenings when we were unwinding from our long, busy afternoons.  I don't have a picture of it just yet as it is soaking in preparation for blocking.  Once that is done, I'll take a picture of it and post.  I really liked the Irish Mesh Cowl and will definitely be knitting it again.  I had used smaller needles as I didn't have the size required (4.5mm) in a circular. I hope the blocking will help, because although it turned out great, it's a little narrow to what I'd like it to be.  I plan on doing this pattern again soon on the larger needles (maybe even the same yarn) for comparison - and also because I want to.

No comments: